Thursday, April 19, 2012

Partager Paris Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature




If you find yourself wondering around the Marais, not far from La Place des Vosges and du Musée Picasso, with no particular plan, I would suggest you stop in and spend some time at Le Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature. 


François and Jacqueline Sommer have housed their exotic collection in a beautiful Hotel Particular, L’Hotel de Guénégaud, built in 1651-1655 by François Mansart.   I had planned for the longest time to stop in, and finally, an arrangement was made with my french teacher, to spend our lesson at this inspirational and educational museum.  I wasn’t quite sure what to expect since I am not a hunter, and I have never lived anywhere but near the beach,  and now in Paris;  and not having any family members or friends who enjoyed hunting ...  But, the museum’s collections held my attention for nearly 3 hours, all of which was being explained to me in french ...  while the atmosphere was as if I was a guest in someone’s home.


Not only does the museum have the different types of instruments (beautiful, intricate works of art) for hunting, and all the trophies of animals from Europe, Africa, Asia and America, it also has many works of art:  paintings, sculptures, tapestries, ceramics and pieces of furniture.  And to make the museum even more interesting, there is usually a temporary exposition of art that somehow relates to nature or hunting.  

It is one of those museums that I want to revisit the next time I find myself wandering around the Marais with no particular place to go ....
Here are the details:
Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature
62, rue des Archives - 75003 Paris
Tel: 01.53.01.92.40
musee@chassenature.org

PPxx

2 comments:

  1. Merci beaucoup for reminding me about this interesting musée. I've always wanted to visit it but never had the time. Now I do have the time!!!!! Looking forward to visiting after my Lucca workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Paris rdv ... yes, its an interesting museum in a great part of the city. What is a Lucca workshop? hope you enjoy the museum!

    ReplyDelete