Sunday, April 29, 2012

Partager The École des Beaux-arts



The École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-art (ENSB-A) is the very distinguished National School of Fine Arts here in Paris, founded by Charles Le Brun in 1648.



You enter the impressive courtyard of this former convent on the 14, rue Bonaparte and immediately are confronted with the large carved heads of Pierre Paul Puget and  the bust of Nicolas Poussin.  It was pouring rain and sideway winds were pushing me around, as I tried to find my way to the current exposition.  It was my first visit to this side of the school, and I was a bit turned around in a good way, ... as I wandered thru this labyrinth-like complex of buildings ... leading to courtyards ... leading to other buildings ... leading to classrooms and ateliers ... not the least bit upset that I had forgotten my umbrella,  as the rains whipped thru the hallways.  



After a few minutes of wandering, peeking in windows, watching students working on their projects at various stages of completion ... and remembering the days when I was in art classes ... I found the main building which housed the exhibition I was searching for, Rembrandt’s students drawings.  Sadly, this expostion is finished now, but the vast complex of buildings that I wandered thru were better than any exhibition!  The Cour Vitrée took my breath away!  


So, if you are wandering thru St. Germain, near the quay Malaquais and the rue Bonaparte, look for the bust of Poussin in the courtyard.  It is a public establishment, so you are allowed to enter freely to explore the nooks and crannies of the most prestigious art school in the world.  Plus, there are usually exhibitions of future and past famous artists !   
Just to name of the alumni - Fragonard, Garnier, Givenchy, Wyeth, and Sisley!


École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-art 
14, rue Bonaparte
75006 Paris

PPxx

1 comment: